Wednesday, June 18, 2014

THE 'MISSED' CALL

            “We’re going to Wonderla. Come to Hosur this weekend and stay in my house. From there, let’s go with some of my schoolmates. What say?” This was the tone in which he – who – cannot – be – named (not Voldemort) informed me the itinerary. I was at Coorg then. Though I was not sure about my schedule, I just okayed the plan without further thought.

            I have heard this and that about Wonderla, THE THEME PARK at Bangalore. But in order to know more, I googled it. The information poured out and I was stunned. (My multi – tasking mind was also getting serious about 13,90,000 results being displayed in 0.35 seconds; I wondered who in this world would go beyond at least the second page of ‘Google Search Results’) The images displayed resembled that of the roller coaster ride in Final Destination 2 (or maybe, some other part; after watching all the five, I always feel dizzy while travelling and at theme parks).

            I immediately closed Chrome and came out of that ‘death beckoning moment’.  I compared in mind today’s theme parks with the summer exhibitions which was the centre of attraction during my schooldays. Well, there is not a mustard quantity of chance to expect an exhibition in ‘contemporary’ cities like Chennai. This is the city full of malls and theme parks. But, exhibition is still markedly different from these sophisticated entertaining stuffs.

            Exhibition is, well, nothing but a mall + theme park experience. Although not like the air – conditioned Skywalk and EA or the vast, gigantic MGM and Black Thunder, this is the place where you can expect window – shopping @infinity combined with some jolly rides. (I can say with ultimate pride that I am gifted to have spent my childhood in a town and not a city) There is everything in an exhibition which we witness in malls right from the popcorn to the mobile accessory stores (I was, at first, shocked when I had to buy popcorn at ‘Phoenix Market City’ worth 70 bucks; here, it still costs only 15 or 20). There are shops selling lady items right from face wash to hair clips, places for gamble games and most importantly that big store which announces, “Buy anything for 20.” Always, this takes up the large area and the crowd would always be there.

            Some of my friends were extraordinarily brilliant in ‘making off’ with some stuff from that shop. I can still remember how my friend easily came out unnoticed with some cutters and micro – spanners and challenged me to do the same. I could never let my prestige being humbled and humiliated. So I, with the same target, went into the shop and as you all expect, was caught. However, I too had that ‘moment of resurrection’ as I managed to pay the amount. (People who have seen the movie, ‘Gentleman’ would easily understand this; there’s a similar exhibition scene in there, with the only difference being the talking parrot and not the cutters)

            There’s also another incident worth mentioning here, which was narrated to me by mom. First, let me introduce the main characters involved in the scene. Mom’s friend (who, then, was the Assistant Manager of the Branch where mom still works), his wife and three children. One of them was a cute, cheeky – geeky, 9 – year – old boy and the other two were girls, entirely opposite in behavior to him. It had all started well and they were roaming around the stalls together. But, the ‘buy anything for 20’ stall turned the tables on them. The ladies were engrossed in buying… well, er, never mind. They were buying something. Ladies, according to me, become extra – emotional during buying petty things and even more during bargaining. And, this man, the ‘Lion at Office’ was the ‘usual’ familyman of India who fears his wife. In the meantime, our epic hero, the cheeky – geeky guy, got missed out somewhere in the sea of people.

            These people were too much into shopping that they failed and forgot to notice that there was another ‘creature’ around them before sometime, but had absconded then. So, it all continued as everyone expects. After coming out of the shop, they found out that ‘startling truth’ and each one did something weird; the boy’s father was wandering here and there aimlessly and mother was crying in a loud tone. The two girls were trying to comfort that poor lady. Some people were offering ’Golden Advice’ which would surpass in quality the Zen Proverbs and which, when sequenced as a list, would go beyond the monthly grocery list. Some others were discussing their previous such experiences at crowded places and a few ‘intellectuals’ told them to seek help from the police. There was always the police office at every exhibition to see that ’All Izz Well’.

            At that time, the father’s mobile rang. “Dad, I am here at the police tent. Come and take me to the rides, soon.” The line was disconnected. These people immediately ran towards the police tent, only to get startled more. “You insane buffalos! Where were you and what were you doing? Don’t you mind about your boy? Crazy people, take me to the ride.” They then came to know from the police officer – in – charge that the boy had dialed to his father from his phone only. “Terrific memory power, Sir! How old is he? Be careful, Sir. Don’t leave children out alone at any cost.”Wow , what a boy!! An exemplification of ‘Young Calf Knows No Fear.’ No single tear had come out of his eyes and he was in no tension.

            This incident always taunts me till date and mocks at my failure to even escape out with a tiny cutter. I was forced to revisit the past by a similar kind of happening at Coorg. I was at the Abbey Falls (Abbey translates into ‘Falls’ in Kannada; so the place literally meant ‘Falls Falls’. But, I found out that it was ‘False Falls’ instead as people were prohibited to enjoy the natural shower) with mom and dad. We clicked each other and also took a professional photograph. While we were just going out, mom signaled us to stop; there was a woman crying and asking something to everyone around there. (Mom is always the first person among us to notice these things because I am always into hearing songs and humming and dad would be mesmerized with nature’s beauty)

Mom found out that the woman had missed her 10 – year – old daughter. She enquired about the girl’s physical appearance and, as a normal Tamil lady, advised that woman not to panic and asked her to inform the police. Dad asked if the girl knew her mom’s mobile number or she had any mobile to contact her. The reply was negative. As we were running out of time, we just consoled her to a miniscule extent and then boarded the taxi. All of us had the expression of horror and skepticism written all over the faces. Mom was repeating, “These days, even toddlers are not left out by these men. God, please save the girl.

I thought of Nirbhaya and the fate of numerous other girls about whom televisions flash and newspapers detail daily. On the flipside, I also prayed o the Almighty that the girl should be brainy enough like the boy who got lost in the exhibition. I remembered those words once again. “You insane buffalos! Where were you and what were you doing?” I didn’t know whether to cry or console myself.

1 comment:

  1. very intrstng da....i m proud of u machiii.....vazhkaiya thedi odikitu irukra kalathula atlst smtims guysss lyk u r thnkng abt safety of grlss....but indha mttr pathi la pesna matum pathadhu....sumthng hd 2 b dne da.....anywys lets hope fr a chnge......al is in our(men) hnds only...

    ReplyDelete